Pages

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Yes

Before I left for Madrid as a 20-year-old going on 16, I paused, if only for a moment. Slightly worried how I'd get around without really speaking the language, I had a slivery slice of second thoughts. Then my parents said, of course you can do it. It's no big deal. Go.

When my sister's dreams of dentistry led her to Witten-Herdecke -- deep in the unknown heart of Germany -- she clearly realized she didn't know anything about placing verbs at the end of sentences, much less the weight of the formal Sie. But of course she went. Why? Our parents always believed we could and should. And we all did.

So, wish. Believe. And always go.

Because those secrets that you've whispered only to falling stars really do translate to magic. But only if you stay true.

No comments: